Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get in touch with the Elementary School?

Please call 2278-0029 ext 16 or 2278-5013, or email

Does the school have a website?


You can also visit the elementary school website at for specific information about the elementary school.

Is there a school newsletter?

Yes, the school produces a bullet in which is distributed every Wednesday at dismissal time. The bulletin is also available on the school’s website. The School's Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) also produces a newsletter with lots of information in the months of December and May.

What are the School’s vacation / holiday dates?

Please refer to the calendar posted on our website

Does the School provide lunch?

Students may bring their lunch or bring money to purchase food items on sale at school. Food items include Chicken, Pizza, Sandwiches, Fruit Salad, Ice Cream, Pastries 

Does the school offer transportation?

Transportation is provided through a private service regulated by the school.

Parents can inquire about the routes offered and/or make arrangements for this service directly with the transportation company at 2260-1579 or 8863-9686.
Cost: Round Trip $70.00 monthly
One trip $50 monthly 

Are students required to use uniforms?

Yes students are required to wear uniforms. There are two type of uniforms: The every day uniform and the Physical Education uniform. These Uniforms can be purchased at the Student Store in ANS or at the following addresses: Casa del Uniforme: Fte. Colegio Teresiano Carretera a Masaya Km 4 - Tel. 2278- 7349 and Tricotextil: Metrocentro. Modulo 03 - Tel. 2271-9320

Does the school offer a secure environment?

We have guards at the entrances to the school campus. During the regular daily schedule there is only one entrance to the school offices and classrooms. There are also surveillance cameras all around campus.

Is religious instruction a par t of the school’s regular curriculum?

No, ANS is not a religious school. However for those interested in participating, weekly after school catechism classes organized by school parents are available.

Is the school diploma recognized in the U.S.?

Yes. ANS is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools – Council of Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS - CASI) a division of Advanc-ED. The School is also authorized by the Nicaraguan Ministry of Education and recognized by the Department of Overseas Schools, US State Department.

How many students per class? And how many sections are per grade?

Early childhood classes, Nursery through Grade 2, generally average 20 students, Grade 3 to 1 2 classes average 23 students. These are general guidelines, not strict class limits. There are three sections per grade in K4 – 5th grade.

What are the School Hours?

Nursery (K3) 8:00 am – 12:00 noon

Pre-Kinder (K4) 7:05 am – 12:00 noon

Kinder (K5) to 5th Gr. 7:05 am – 1:55 pm

Gr .6th – 12th 7:05 am – 2:05 pm

What is the make-up of the student body in terms of nationalities?
The 2009 - 2010 student population consisted of approximately 29 nationalities generally broken down as follows:

32% USA

48% Host

20% Others

Does the school have extracurricular activities? Is there a separate charge for these activities?

The school offers soccer, volleyball, basketball, swimming and chess as extracurricular activities. School teams are divided by age and gender.

These extracurricular activities have no cost, except for Swimming for beginners with a cost of U$40.00 per semester. Please visit the P.E. Office for more information and enrollment purposes. For more information go to the Athletic Department page.

How are parents informed when an extracurricular game or athletic activity is cancelled?

The P.E. Office will contact you, or your child will be allowed to call you.

What time is after-school academic assistance? Elementary teachers are available for free academic assistance on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:05 to 2:45 pm. After – school tutoring is a school program aimed at strengthening the students learning. It is not a time for student homework to be supervised.

If I need a tutor, who can tutor my child?
Parents wishing to hire a private tutor should first consult with the child’s teacher(s) and school counselor. I f it is agreed that the child needs tutorial assistance the parent can contact the elementary school office for names of possible tutors.

Do you offer any services for students with special learning needs?

Yes, limited Learning Support services are available for students with mild to moderate learning disabilities. For more information please contact the elementary office.

Where I can find a lost object?

There is a lost and found cabinet located in the hallway outside the elementary office. Please contact the Elementary School secretary if you need to recover a lost item.

How do I let the school know that my child is going to be absent?

Please call the elementary office at 2278-0029 ext 16 or 2278-5013

What do I need to do to pick up my child early from school?

Please stop by the Elementary Office where the secretary will give you 2 early dismissal passes, one must be given to the teacher to release the student from class and the other must be given to the gate security guard. If you do not present this pass the student will not be allowed to leave campus even if accompanied by an adult.

What school supplies will my child need? Where do I buy them?

You may find the school supplies list per grade level on the school webpage on the following site:
The ANS Homework Agenda, two pocket folders, aprons for art and the school’s double lined notebooks are available for purchase at the cashier’s office.

Can I choose / change my child’s class or teacher?

Class lists are prepared by the Elementary Principal with teacher and counselor’s input. It is not possible for parents to request specific teachers or change class assignments. Class lists are developed during the summer months and will be available on the fist day of school. All elementary class lists will be posted on bulletin boards next to the school’s main entrance and next to the gate nearest the elementary office. Class lists will also be posted outside each classroom.

How can I communicate with my child's teacher?

Please visit the directory section of our school webpage to contact instructional staff. You may also call the elementary office to request an appointment with your child’s teacher.

Where can I find out about school cancellations or early dismissals?

Every effort will be made to contact parents via phone in case of an unscheduled early dismissal or school closing. The PTO, in collaboration with the school develops an emergency phone tree which will be used to reach parents in such event.  Likewise,  announcements will be placed on the school’s web site and via some local TV stations.

What if I have more questions?

New parent orientation is usually held on the week before school starts. This is a time when parents can find out more information about the school in general. Information about orientation for new families will be sent out from the elementary school office during the summer months. 

Parents may also communicate directly or email questions and/or concerns to the elementary office (